Wednesday 14 November 2007

Should we encourage an English Literary Association?

This afternoon, I attended a gathering of poetry lovers at Salsa Royale organized by the well-known Dhivehi poet, Jadulla Jameel and his associates in the civil society. I arrived a little bit late because it took a lot longer than I realized to fully charge the battery of my video camera. The organizers and the participants had opted not to invite the media or the press formally, so I undertook to make a record of the event.

Jadulla is widely known in the Maldives. He is a poet in his own right and a fearless defender of free expression. He also hails from a very well known family, both for their literary achievements and political clout.

When I arrived, Jadulla was introducing the event. I was pleased to see that the event was well attended, especially by a lot of young people. Jessica from the Open Society Association was already there. I also noticed that Hon. Mujuthaba, former Minister of Trade and Chairperson of the Human Rights Commission, was also there.

Many of the younger faces were new to me. Some were people I had met before. But all seemed very eager and looked very happy to be there. Utopian Culture had a good presence.
Shihab read a poem, I think written by Jadulla. A topical poem that voiced some of the angst that fills the streets of Male’.

Jadulla himself read a poem, written by a young girl, a Thalassaemia patient. She had the wisdom of the sages and the flair of a poet. I had heard the poem before, and had found that a very moving poem. Jadulla’s reading of it carried the emotive undertones of the lines well.

Jadulla was followed by Mujuthaba, who read one of his own poems, a poem that he said he had written on 8 April 2006. It was a very topical poem, with sharp angles on the current political ferment, a real soul –searching poem by one of the key players in the current reform process.

Next, a young girl, I think she said her name was Kulshum, came up and read a poem that she had written. It spoke directly to the primary concerns of her generation, but also had broader interest. It was a poignant expression of the issues that exercise the conscience and the minds of all civic-minded people in the country. The elegance of her expression was matched by the fluency of her delivery, and conveyed the incisiveness of the poet’s mind. She should keep on writing—her meter, rhythm, diction and imagery all fused into mesmerizing poetry, written with uncommon flair.

Edith Piaf also made her entry to the event, via a disc recording. Not only was a song sung by her, but the song was turned into skit, with the words being read by Shazra, who had studied in France, and acted by Andhu. I don’t understand a word of French, but I love the singing of Edith Piaf and Charles Aznavour. I got to Aznavour not through French sources, but from Bob Dylan, who sang an Aznavour song at a concert of Dylan’s that I attended years ago at the Madison Square Garden. It was Aznavour who sang that one should “get up and leave without a word when love is no longer being served!”

I was pleased to find out that the gathering included a few students who were studying English literature. They clearly had enough passion for their subject to spend the afternoon at the poetry recital. I had a chance to talk to them and were very impressed by their interest in literature and their mature approach to the works that they were reading—Othello, Emma, Pride and Prejudice, Street Car Named Desire, etc. I was dismayed to learn that only 5 students were enrolled in the literature class! Twenty-seven years ago, I ploughed through Othello, Emma and so on, again with only 4 colleagues! A country that ignores history and literature cannot have a bright future! No wonder our young minds are falling prey to narrow-minded ideas!

I had gone to the event without any poems. But Nishwan, a young man taking an year off from his studies in London, came up there and recited a poem he said he had found that day, “Crook with the Crown”. He said he had looked through his own anthology of poetry and found that his poetry was all about Cupid, and so he had to get another poem with political overtones. He was kind enough not toe expose the author of that poem.

I felt obliged to own up to having written that, in August 2001. I had no idea what the date was because most of my poetry are written between 11:00 pm and 1:00 am or on an airplane with no sense of time, or in a hospital bed when I lose count of time. But Jessica had to hand a couple of my poems which I had passed on to her for comment earlier that day. I had left over 60 pages of poetry in the President’s Office which I forget to remove before I bolted out the door and haven’t been able to recover them yet.

I thought I would read a poem—Present Tense at the Museum, which I had written in August 2001. I must have been in a hospital or something, to have had time to write so many poems in August 2001!

I don’t know what the audience made of my poem. But it was about the political dystopia that I saw around me, in 2001. It was some ways a dated poem, because I referred to an “unchanging caste”. But I was expressing my disgust over the complacency with which the establishment was gloating about the achievements of the past and I was warning them that “the future will rebel at the past”! A museum displayed those who had enjoyed all sorts of perks in the past: “rows and rows of silent dignity, pointing to yesterday’s opportunity”.

At the break, with music from a couple guys from the band 1984, some of the brightest young people I met in a long time, Ibu, Affan and Nashia, took issue with my time in government. We had an engaging dialogue on the role and impact of New Maldives in government, but Jadulla reminded us that poetry should take precedence over politics. I thought the discussion had more to do with philosophy than politics, but either way, poetry had to rule.

It was a wrench to walk away from the trio – and I look forward to a chance to talk to them again. These are the people whose voices must be heard by the powers that be. I hope that the country doesn’t lose people like them, and indeed discovers more of them.

Which brings me to my original point: why not set up an English Literary Club? To be fair, the idea belongs to Mujuthaba, but it is one that I heartily endorse. Life imitates art as art imitates life. Reading a good book is like living a lifetime. It can open-up minds and widen horizons.

Discussions among literati can be very enlightening, and certainly contribute to a vibrant culture.

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

These questions may not be relevant to the topic. They are nevertheless of paramount importance, and arguably the ones necessary to determine whether the Maldives is going to be a liberal democratic country, and arguably they are some of the most important ones for the future of the Maldives. The questions are: what is OSA's stand on 1) the question of freedom of religion; 2)the apparent rise in puritanism and extremism in the Maldives and the solutions to deal with the phenomena; 3)the rise in the number of people with non-Islamic views; and 4)the question of institutional separation of Islam from the state and enshrining the same in the constitution? If the stand is that of, or similar to, liberal/modernist/reformist Muslim thinkers such as Khaled Abou El Fadl, Abdullahi Ahmed An-Nai'm, Mohamed Charfi, or Abdullah Saeed (to name a few), can OSA arrange lectures on these issues by inviting people such as Prof. Abdullah Saeed (who is currently heading the Australian government-funded National Religious Centre in Melbourne) or Khaled Abou El Fadl (a leading authority on Islamic law)or Abdullahi Ahmed An-Nai'm (urgently before the current constitution amending process ends)?

Anonymous said...

Empiricus,

It looks like that OSA has realized the potential of the young in todays politics. They are doing the right thing , even if it is opening the gate ways of winning the hearts and minds of the young for a future election win.

Nevertheless, the questions you asked are the questions every young man and woman is asking today.

Anonymous said...

Where is the OSA's strength in posts?...this blog is at its infancy...not enough substance to post a comment..if i am to see a that voting a lawyer will not result in Blind Injustice..then i need facts..lets see how AUDACIOUS U GUYS ARE..welcome to the stage..

Anonymous said...

I had to leave just as the poem finished cos I had a meeting to attend. It's interesting to know that the poem "Crook with the Crown" was penned by you.

Read us a poem of your "cabinet days" next time we have a meet.

Anonymous said...

I definitely think we should encourage a literary association that does not centre around the likes of Abbas Ibrahim and Abdulla Hameed. One of the greatest tragedies of our time is that our young people are so not given the opportunity to think widely. I agree with you that a country that ignores to teach arts subjects will not have a happy future!

Anonymous said...

OSA and Jadulla are to be commended for holding the poetry event. I agree that it was refreshing to talk poetry without the likes of Hameed and Abbas bearing down on everybody. This country is getting narrower and narrower in its mindset with each passing day. People like Mujuthaba, Dr Shaheed and Shihab really should pave the way for our young people to think with open minds. By the way, there is something common to Mujuthaba and Dr Shaheed apart from poetry-- they both walked out on Gayoom leaving behind very promising careers to uphold principle against power.

Affandidi said...

its good dr. shaheed realises the potential of the youth ( atleast now) i strongly believe that while in the goverment if members of new maldives commited themself or rather devoted to empower young people it would have a huge difference. And if did so it would nt have been a smaller achivement than retifying ICCPR.

Anonymous said...

I suppose the likes of Shaheed, Hassan and Jameel will always be asked what they were doing in government. But clearly they made a huge difference, a fact recognised very widely including by the international community. What we do not know enough is why they quit the government. Mundhood described the New Maldives trio as "pig-headed, arrogant, incompetent drifters" in his kiss-and-tell interview in Haftha a few weeks back. In fact Mundhood said that all that Shaheed did as Chief Government Spokesman was his work and there advanced the claim that Mundhood rather than Shaheed should have been made the Foreign Minister in 2005. While we would like to hear from these guys why they left government, we would also like to know why they joined the government. More importantly, we would like to know more about New Maldives, what their agenda was in government and what their agenda now is.

Madisonbnmj said...

I definitely think we should encourage a literary association that does not centre around the likes of Abbas Ibrahim and Abdulla Hameed. One of the greatest tragedies of our time is that our young people are so not given the opportunity to think widely. I agree with you that a country that ignores to teach arts subjects will not have a happy future!